Saturday, September 4, 2010

Weekend Edition

CPH
61 degrees, sunny

Friday:



I went to Tivoli Gardens which is the second oldest amusement park in the world!  I have never been one for amusement parks maybe its my propensity to be motion sick or maybe that I just think amusement parks in the US are just dirty and over-used. I DONT KNOW. But what I do know is that I love this amusement park!  Some words I would use to describe it are charming, delightful, magical, enchanting.  A few steps through the archway and SHAZAM a peacock.  When have you ever seen a peacock walking around at Darien Lake?

And they don't just have fancy fowl.  Everything is fancy!
The lights, the fountains, the gardens, the rides, the candy, and even the souvenir shops were more little boutiques you would find on a street.
  



The park includes all sorts of rides: ferris wheels, roller coasters, bumper boats, and this awesome safari themed merry-go-round.  The also had carnival games and one in particular which I think is awesome.  You get five wooden balls and you throw them at real dishes to try and break them.  There didn't seem to be any prizes for hitting the plates other than the enjoyment that comes from smashing dishes that are neither yours, nor yours to clean up.  
This is one amusement park I would DEFINITELY come back to.

Saturday:
Weather - 62 and sunny

More of a low key day today.  I spent a few hours walking around Copenhagen University's Botanical Gardens.  




The greenhouses are just packed with plants and there is no real rhyme or reason to the way anything is arranged.







The gardens outside are all meticulously designed and maintained and because its free lots of people just come to hang out, eat lunch, or just take a nap.


    

So that's what I've been seeing.

Till the next, 

Allison

1 comment:

  1. Allison, How interesting! You note that Tivoli Gardens is the second oldest amusement park in the world ... which, of course, begs the question what is the oldest. Wiki indicates that it is Dyrehavsbakken, which dates to 1583, in nearby Klampenburg, just north of Copenhagen. So you are in the land of tasty street waffles and ancient amusement parks. Lucky you . How cool! Dad

    ReplyDelete